Friday, October 9, 2009

Some Other Random Things I Did This Week, In No Particular Order

1. On Wednesday morning, I took a ride to school on one of Senegal's famous car rapides! I've only ever almost been run over by these clunkers before, so this was a psychologically healing experience for me. Car rapides are most often painted in bright yellow and blue, with the phrase "Alhamdulilah!" (Praise God!) scrawled across the front. They are often so crowded that riders stand on the rear bumper and cling to whatever they can. Here's a picture from google:

2. I went to my fourth soccer game at le stade near my house- but this time I brought my camera! Each neighborhood (cartier) within Dakar has a team, and Tuesday night's match was Mermoz vs. Baobab. The games are always lively and loud.


3. I splurged and bought myself salami and REAL cheese, (actually, Laughing Cow plastic wrapped singles, but that's about as real as you can get here without shelling out 10 bucks,) and ate salami sandwiches for two days straight. It was BEAUTIFUL.

4. Last night I saw one of the most incredible twilight skies ever. Don't know if the photo does it justice.

5. I finally started investigating Agrecol/Afrique, the NGO I'll be working for for six weeks starting October 26. I'll be moving in with a new host family in Sessene, a tiny village of 500 to the South of Dakar. I'm not sure exactly what my job will entail, but the NGO focuses on organic farming and sustainable agriculture, and the fair trade of the goods produced. Sounds right up my alley! The site is in French, but here's the link anyhow-
http://www.agrecol-afrique.org/oneHOME/
I'll let you guys know when I have more details on my internship.

Signing off here at the end of week six-

4 comments:

  1. One poste late:

    A young lady was riding a camel.
    Thru African sands to the sea, they did ramble;
    With a jolt "oh my head!"
    "Look out, Toubab!" someone said,
    "Toubab ??? No!!! Moh Olney-Hamel!!""
    love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT was good, Cinda.

    So what you're saying is slip some salami in an envelope and mail it by Priority?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARIANNE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been following along all the way.... love hearing about your adventures. Just now figured out how to reply. Can't wait to see you. Enjoy your last couple of weeks!
    Susan, your fairy godmother xxoo

    ReplyDelete