Monday, September 7, 2009

Heat Rash and Ramadan

If you think these things have very little in common, think again. The hunger that most of the Senegalese endure daily while fasting for Ramadan is incessant, as is the horrible itching of a heat rash that spreads all over your arms, chest, and neck. Moreover, Ramadan fasting and a heat rash tend to make all those involved irritable and tired. I think I'm going to try to fast one of these days before the month ends, so I will be sure to let you know the combined effects of fasting and heat rash.

Other things I have learned this past week:
1) "A toute a l'heure," which means "See you soon," in French, can be more accurately translated as "See you in 4-7 hours!" in Senegal.
2) The French word "legere" means LIGHT, not HEAVY, as I thought for the first week. This might have caused a few misunderstandings- the first morning with my host family, Papa Anicet asked if I slept well, and I nodded and answered, "Yes, I slept very lightly!" After our visit to Gorée Island, where the majority of enslaved West Africans were housed immediately before they were sent on ships to the Americas, I told my host family that the visit was "sad and very light."
3) Most probably, when you hop in a taxi, the "taxi man" won't know street names.

6 comments:

  1. That was a nice bit of (light) reading, thank you :)

    I was worried you had heat rash. But I guess you don't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi aunty emmmmmm from grizzly flats honey how tall is this britta? can you ask about the local fishing and surfing? glad to see you made it in one piece however you appear to be shrinking love pop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gloria says, corn starch or baby powder will help the heat rash - in the folds - also, dry really well after showers!
    love to you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. hooray! this all made me very happy and very jealous. when can i come visit? :)
    do you have any sort of address there?
    i miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wifer as you are contemplating fasting, just think about me eating the Bruce Bobtrotter cake!!!! YUM

    lol, i know im a punk, but for some reason you still love me!

    ReplyDelete