Saturday, September 5, 2009

Un Tour de Dakar

OK! I'm back from our morning tour of Dakar, here are some more pictures pour vous! The first is the coast line near La Porte du Millénaire, a monument built in 2000, see third pic. Second is Emma and myself- Grinnellians en Afrique! Next we have Britta and I posing with a guard at the Presidential Palace. I automatically liked Britta when I met her because her name is almost Brita, my Grinnell roomie's name. Next one down is me and Adji, one of the program assistants- she's super duper! After the Presidential Palace we stopped at Cap Manuel, a military post left over by French colonists. Pictured beneath me & Adji is a giant pit where the French stored canons, and beyond the pit the ocean and the Madeleine Islands beyond. Some of us were planning a weekend excursion to the Madeleine Islands, until Professor Sene, the program director, (also a super hero,) told us that there was nothing there except "des reptiles et des plantes." Next we've got Claire saluer-ing a HUGE pelican we met on the beach at La Pointe des Almadies, the western-most point on continental Africa! The next few pictures are of beautiful beaches on or near the La Pointe des Almadies- we saw a little restaurant called "SECRET SPOT". Last, we stopped at La Mosquée de la Divinité. Super great!! Now I'm off to lunch with some toubabs. Some of the kids here did the presession, so they've been here for a month already. They have some Senegalese friends who are throwing all us newbies a party tonight, and apparently a pig will be killed in our honor. Don't worry, I'll take a video!











4 comments:

  1. A pig? In your honor? Couldn't they kill some pigs in a blanket? Although killing pigs in a blanket just seems wrong. Tres wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marianne! Everything looks fantastic. I'm now going to look up plane ticket prices to Senegal over fall break. Miss you a lot. - Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marianne, So glad to see these photos and to sense your love of this adventure! Second photo down (cove, clear water, boy sitting on stone wall and charming houses in background) could send me looking for a ticket to Senegal! All best wishes from Shasta Rd, where I saw your mom today -- hoping to catch her for a walk tomorrow. xo, m

    ReplyDelete